• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 foxears

foxears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

Eprompter works with my other mail accounts but not with the account from my cable internet provider, midcontinent communications. I can retrieve the mail through outlook, but eprompter cannot. I have configured the account in eprompter, double,triple quadruple checked everything. I got the pops & smtp information right out of outlook's server information. I keep getting this error messgae:
"POP 3 returned error.-ERR authorization failed"

the settings that work for outlook are:
pop.midco.net
smtp.midco.net

any help?

#2 dRose

dRose

Forumasaurus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3342 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

Hi, foxears, and welcome to the forum. :)

Yes, there is help. One of the moderators who knows more than I do about POP3 issues will be along soon.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. ▪ Erin Majors

Posted Image

#3 Texfisk

Texfisk

Living Fossil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1636 posts
  • Interests:I am a Software Engineer. As expected my interests are Computers. 7 Systems (2 Vista, 6 XP) on home network.

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

Be sure to check that your login and password contain only letters and numbers (underscore is also allowed).

EP may have problems if you use special characters in the login or password.

Edited by Texfisk, 30 January 2007 - 07:59 PM.

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!" - John Wayne

Posted Image

#4 Ximinez

Ximinez

Forumasaurus

• Admin
  • 3728 posts
  • Interests:ePrompter, of course! I am not affiliated with the program in any way ... I'm just a regular user like you!!

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:35 PM

... I got the pops & smtp information right out of outlook's server information ...

Have you checked if your Outlook is using SSL for either POP3 or SMTP connections?

That is, are you using non-standard ports to connect with? The standard ports are 110 (POP3) and 25 (SMTP).
Posted Image

We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star, but we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.
-- Stephen Hawking

#5 Texfisk

Texfisk

Living Fossil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1636 posts
  • Interests:I am a Software Engineer. As expected my interests are Computers. 7 Systems (2 Vista, 6 XP) on home network.

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:09 AM

I did research some and the setup for Outlook Express did not say anything about different ports.

There was some information about using it's webmail.

Guess we have to see what else foxears can tell us.

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!" - John Wayne

Posted Image

#6 foxears

foxears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:50 PM

the smtp & pop3 settings that outlook is using are:
pop.midco.net
smtp.midco.net
these are the settings I put in when we first installed my cable & modem.....I just have never had reason to use MIDCONTINENT's E-mail until recently. I have been getting mail through there & had never checked it.

no special characters....all lowercase
ports are 25 & 110
again....outlook & ie7 can connect to the MIDCONTINENT COMMUNICATIONS e-mail account.....but Eprompter cannot access it for some reason

#7 Texfisk

Texfisk

Living Fossil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

foxears, can/have you tried EP on a different system?

Is midco your primary ISP?

The only other thing you can try is to PM one of the moderators or developers (craig or eptechpete) with the login and password so they can check it to see if it is some setting that is causing the problem.

Posted Image

#8 Ximinez

Ximinez

Forumasaurus

• Admin
  • 3728 posts
  • Interests:ePrompter, of course! I am not affiliated with the program in any way ... I'm just a regular user like you!!

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

... Is midco your primary ISP? ...

Tex, as per foxears' original entry:

Eprompter works with my other mail accounts but not with the account from my cable internet provider, midcontinent communications ...

... unless, of course, you're thinking that he may be checking his midco email through another network (i.e., not midco's). Is that what you mean?

foxears,

Are you checking other POP3 accounts through eP or are the "other mail accounts" that you refer to are webmail services like Yahoo or Gmail?

Also, have you tried temporarily disabling Norton's scanner to see if that makes a difference?
Posted Image

We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star, but we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.
-- Stephen Hawking

#9 Texfisk

Texfisk

Living Fossil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:43 PM

Something like that.

I had that experience with our email account. Had to use my primary ISP for the SMTP server or it would error out. Found the information on Microsoft Knowledge Base. Some ISP's require using their servers only.

Posted Image

#10 foxears

foxears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:50 AM

You have pretty much everything I know about the situation. MIDCONTINENT COMMUNICATIONS is my cable isp. E prompt can check my aol, yahoo, (3 accounts total) I have tried a more narrowed pop3 & smtp ie: pop.rap.midco.net & smtp.rap.midco.net (rap fpr rapid city SD) I have seen this in some of my information for midco, but again
pop.midco.net & smtp.midco.net seem to work for outlook & ie7. I have tried adding .mail. in there (don't remember exactly where in the string) I have tried multiple variations etc. Now I remember that this is why I hadn't been using the MIDCO e=mail....Eprompt couldn't check it for me. I believe the pop & smtp are correct....when I try the other variations it gives me an error to the effect of "server not found" not the "-ERR" authorization error

#11 Ximinez

Ximinez

Forumasaurus

• Admin
  • 3728 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:54 PM

Has ePrompter ever worked with midco before?

Also, have you tried deleting the midco account from the ePrompter GUI and re-creating it?

As a last resort, I can test the account for you from my copy of eP to see if there's a problem with your login procedure. I have done this for several ePrompter forum members in the past. Just private message me with your details by clicking [here].
Posted Image

-- Stephen Hawking

#12 cnlson

cnlson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:47 AM

quick ? what are you using for login info for midco?

you do know that it is not

username foxears
pass xxx

for midco it is
user : foxears@zzz.midco.net
oass xxx

the zzz is the city

https://webmail.midco.net/horde/imp/
Your username is your full e-mail address. For example, a user with the e-mail address jdoe@sio.midco.net would use jdoe@sio.midco.net as his username.

#13 Ximinez

Ximinez

Forumasaurus

• Admin
  • 3728 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:10 PM

... Your username is your full e-mail address. For example, a user with the e-mail address jdoe@sio.midco.net would use jdoe@sio.midco.net as his username.

cnlson, thanx for that info. I hope it works for foxears's sake.
Posted Image

-- Stephen Hawking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users